Top Ten Reasons to go to Juniper Canyon Recovery Center
By Derek Daley
This top 10 list presents an overview of some of the key aspects and advantages of Juniper Canyon Recovery Center for Women, the premier Wilderness Therapy program for adult women in the United States. Juniper Canyon is a facility that is dedicated to providing specialized treatment for mental health disorders through a combination of innovative and scientifically-proven methods. As a fully licensed Residential Treatment Center and accredited by Joint Commission, Juniper Canyon Recovery Center for women also holds the distinction of NATSAP Research Gold Seal program, which is a recognition of our commitment to delivering the highest quality of care.
- Immersive, nature-based setting: Being surrounded by natural beauty has been shown to have a positive effect on mental and emotional well-being for women struggling with mental health issues such as trauma, depression, anxiety and/or substance abuse. The serene, calming environment of Juniper Canyon allows for a greater focus on healing and self-discovery.
- Adventure-based Therapy: Research has shown that adventure-based therapy can be an effective tool for treating mental health disorders. At Juniper Canyon we provide safe opportunities for individuals to challenge themselves, build self-esteem and improve their overall well-being.
- Evidence-based, trauma-informed treatment: The treatment program at Juniper Canyon Recovery Center is grounded in evidence-based practices and therapies. This includes Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) – both well-established and proven treatment methods to address different disorders.
- An interdisciplinary team of experts: Our staff and clinicians consist of experienced, compassionate professionals from a variety of disciplines, including therapists, doctors, and outdoor adventure guides, who work together to provide personalized, comprehensive care.
- Individualized treatment plans: Each client at Juniper Canyon is assessed and evaluated to create an individualized treatment plan that addresses their specific needs and goals.
- Holistic approach: We believe in a holistic approach to treatment at Juniper Canyon, addressing not only the patient’s mental health concerns but also their physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being.
- Family involvement: Family therapy sessions and onsite workshops for families are included for all of our clients. Families play an important role in the recovery process and are encouraged to be involved in their loved one’s treatment.
- Experiential learning: Juniper Canyon Recovery Center emphasizes experiential learning, which allows patients to apply what they learn in therapy to real-life situations and experiences.
- Small, intimate setting: Our campus offers a small, intimate setting that allows for a greater sense of community and connection among clients and staff. The setting fosters a greater sense of trust and support, which is pivotal in the healing process–especially from trauma or substance use disorders.
- Aftercare planning and aftercare support: Juniper Canyon Recovery Center for Women provides every client with time to complete their long-term aftercare plans so that they can thrive and maintain their progress. Aftercare support includes ongoing therapy sessions, alumni events, secondary program placements and other resources to ensure that patients continue to receive the support they need.
Author: Derek Daley is a co-founder of Legacy Outdoor Adventures and Juniper Canyon Recovery Center for Women, with decades of experience in the outdoor behavioral healthcare industry. He is currently serving on the board of The National Association of Therapeutic Programs and the Outdoor Behavioral Healthcare Council. Derek received the 2017 Utah Community Service award for his nonprofit work, and is a passionate advocate for wilderness therapy, presenting nationally at universities and conferences to raise awareness about how nature experiences can change lives. On the weekends, Derek enjoys adventuring with his family in Utah and around the globe.